Pennies from Heaven

Six years ago we started living in our boat from May-Oct.  Good ol' Marge the Barge is a beaut, but she is old and outdated and needs a lot of work.  To freshen her up a bit, and keep everything less overwhelming, we do a couple projects each year.  

In an effort to be inspired for the next project, I found myself browsing Pinterest, a very dangerous game.  I advise against it.  You find wonderful creative things that look lovely and super easy.  Pure deceit.  Nevertheless, I got hooked on penny floors...oh my garsh they were so shiny.  (Here's a sneak peek at the ending so you can understand how someone could get hoodwinked into doing it)

I reviewed the idea with the fam and we spent the next several weeks collecting pennies from drawers, streets, strangers, friends, family, and eventually had to get the bank to help.  It was so exciting...you know the visualizing of the project is always so exciting.  Then it came to doing the thing...

Well, the doing proved difficult.  Painfully so. I am a doer, my hubby is a bit more of a planner.  He's got a really good eye, and always a careful plan.  I, however get antsy and bored with planning....so I got right to it.  It wasn't so good - I mean, you'd think: glue, smoosh, stick repeat.  Nope. I redid the doing 3 times.  In case you are wondering what that was like: I scraped until my shoulders ached, soaked the pennies for 24 hours, and then removed the glue from each. and. every. individual. penny.  If that floor could talk, the story it would share would make my parents deny they raised me and my sailor mouth.


It did finally get done and I was so proud.  It felt like a true Picasso moment.  Plus it's pure entertainment when you have to go to the loo.  You can search for your birth year, or the oldest penny or the newest - beauty & brain - what more could someone want? 


Is it weird to anyone else that the only thing I could use pennies for was a floor?  I know this is going to make me sound old, but when i was a kid I could bike 5 miles to Grandma's Corner Store in Hibbing and get a piece of individually wrapped Dubble Bubble for $.01.  I could also get a fireball for a nickel!  My mouth is watering just thinking of it. Now?  Nadda.

Well, now I own a bar and sell things.  Cocktails, beer, food, swag...all sorts of things and NONE of them are a penny!  Until now, yup. In honor of all the father's who likely would have had a more detailed plan for my floor, you get a 4 oz pour of your favorite beer for a penny.  June 16th - 21st.  Now, don't you dare come with a dollar and ask for change - there will be none of that.  Bring a penny, have a beer, maybe we'll glue it to something, I think that would be fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of The Lumberjack Lady